Call for a Free Consultation : 856-667-4666 / 856-600-HURT

Do You Have to Report a Car Accident in New Jersey?

Can You Still Get Compensation If You Don’t Report the Accident?

Do You Have to Report a Car Accident in New Jersey?It used to be a given…when you were in a motor vehicle accident, the first thing you did was call the police, who would come and file a report. That doesn’t happen as much anymore. Drivers may not want to spend the time it takes to wait of law enforcement officers to arrive, so they’ll exchange contact information and notify their own insurance companies. Are you required to report a car, truck or motorcycle accident in New Jersey? If so, when?

The New Jersey Laws Regarding Reporting Car Accidents

New Jersey law does not mandate that every motor vehicle accident be reported. Instead, there are specific instances where notifying law enforcement agencies is required:

  • Where the accident causes the death of any person
  • Where the accident causes injury to a driver, passenger or pedestrian
  • Where the property damage caused by the accident exceeds $500

Under the law, when you are required to notify the police, you must do so by the “quickest means available.” The accident must be reported to one of the following agencies:

  • The New Jersey State Police
  • The nearest county law enforcement offices
  • The appropriate municipal police department

What Happens If You Fail to Report the Accident?

There are criminal sanctions for wrongfully failing to report an accident, including fines (generally not exceeding $100) and potential suspension or revocation of driving privileges or vehicle registration.

Failing to report the accident will not, however, prevent you from seeking compensation in a personal injury claim arising out of the accident. While a police report may be persuasive evidence in a personal injury lawsuit, it is not required. Liability can be established by eyewitness testimony or by other evidence.

Contact the Law Offices of David J. Karbasian, PC

Send us an e-mail today or call us at 856-667-4666 / 856-600-HURT to schedule an appointment to discuss your motor vehicle accident injury claim. Evening and weekend consultations are available upon request. We can come to your home or the hospital to meet with you, if necessary.

© 2019 karbasianlaw All Rights Reserved.
Concept, Design & Hosting by GetLegal's Practice Builder Team Sitemap | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy